Wednesday, February 22, 2012

#3 Watch the Sun Set at Sunset Beach

During the winter months, the waves on the North Shore of Oahu increase in size and call out to the big time surf bums from all around the world.  Sunset beach is one of the prime locations on the island for catching some big waves and it's well known for hosting several surf competitions including the Duke Kahanamoku Classic, the O'Neill World Cup and the Quiksilver Big Wave Invitational.  The waves generally stay in the 20-30 foot range but can get up to 40 or even 50 feet at times.
The other thing that Sunset beach is famous for, obviously, is its magnificent views of the sun setting.  Large crowds gather just before dusk to catch a glimpse of the magnificent color and beautiful view as the sun descend for the day.  Occasionally, people will see a green flash of light just as the sun disappears below the horizon, but I've never seen it before.  Sunset beach is one of my favorites and I love to watch the sunset so Justin and I headed up the North Shore on what would be our last journey around that part of the island and we got to the beach just in time.
Like I said, I love watching the sun set and I had a hard time choosing which pictures to post, so I just posted a bunch.  I played around a bit with different shutter speeds on our camera, which is why the lighting looks different in each one, but they are all so beautiful!



 A shot of some of the surfers. The waves weren't too big today, but still lots of surfers out.







And the sun goes down on another beautiful day in Hawaii.  Check that off our list!

No comments:

Post a Comment