#1-Visit Pearl Harbor. This is just a classic spot to visit when you're on Oahu and I think Justin would have really appreciated the history and the memorial there, but we just didn't make it. We did, however, get to tour a submarine that was in Pearl Harbor so I guess that kind of counts! One of our good friends is in the Navy and is a navigator for one of the submarines there. They were doing some remodels and repairs on the sub, so he was able to get us in and take us on a tour. It was actually a really neat experience, it's amazing how much equipment and people they can fit into one of those. We weren't allowed to take any pictures so I don't have any to post, but it was really neat!
#2- Watch the sun rise at Sandy's beach. One early morning as I was asleep in my bed I got a text from my sweet boyfriend that said that he missed me and wanted to see me. We were at the point in our relationship that it was getting harder and harder to leave each other at night ( I know it's silly, but all you married people know that you went through the exact same thing when you were dating). So he woke me up with a cute text and then asked me to come outside. It was still dark outside but I'm a morning person so it wasn't too hard to get out of bed, especially if I got a chance to see him! He was there waiting with his truck when I went outside and we decided to go for a little drive. We ended up at Sandy's beach and we sat together on the beach and talked while waiting for the sun to rise. And it was such a beautiful morning!
It was by far my favorite date, I'm such a lucky girl to have such a sweet and wonderful man in my life! I was hoping we could catch another sunrise there to relive our dating days but the weather wasn't very cooperative and we got so busy in the last few days we were there. We'll just have to do it when we go out there again!
#8-Eat Malasadas and Mochi Ice Cream. Going to school at BYU-Hawaii was such an awesome experience and it was the perfect school for me. The North Shore will always hold a special place in my heart. However, it was just a little bit secluded from stores and restaurants and other things, especially since I didn't have a car. That's what made the Malasada truck such a special treat. Maybe twice a semester, the Malasada truck would come and park in the Foodland parking lot for about a week, and it was the greatest week ever! It always seemed that it would come during midterms or finals week, just to brighten my day! For those of you who don't know a malasada is a ball of yeast dough, sometimes filled with chocolate (my favorite) or custard or haupia cream. Then it is deep fried and rolled in sugar or cinnamon sugar. You have to try them! Anyway, I've only had malasadas while I was going to school so it was something that uniquely
represented Hawaii and what I love about it. The same with Mochi Ice cream. Even though I'm sure I could find either of these in Idaho if I tried hard enough, it's not the same. When I think about malasadas or mochi ice cream I will always think about Hawaii and it will bring a smile to my face!
So, there you have it. Our bucket list that will have to continue into the future. I might have subconsciously not done some of the things on our list in an effort to really make sure we go back someday. Either way, I'm not too bummed that we didn't finish. We had such great experiences and opportunities in Hawaii and we miss it everyday. We know we are doing what we are supposed to and it is great being close to family, but Hawaii will always hold a large piece of my heart. It was a great 7 years and I can't wait to go back!
No comments:
Post a Comment